A healthy body is beneficial for many reasons, including increasing the safety and efficacy of any plastic surgery procedure or treatment. When our bodies are healthy and running more efficiently, we heal faster, are better able to fight off sickness and disease, and have more energy. Following a healthy lifestyle can improve a person’s appearance (skin, teeth, nails, hair, and body contours), help them feel more confident, and increase their overall enjoyment and happiness in life.
The holidays are fast approaching, and this means there will likely be lots of enticing food around packed with empty calories. These tasty treats are terribly tempting when compared to traditional healthy alternatives, such as a veggie tray, but taste doesn’t have to be sacrificed for health. When baking your goodies this year, you can replace certain unhealthy ingredients with more beneficial stand-ins. These healthier swaps amp up the nutrients while cutting down on ingredients that contribute to health problems, making them both nutritious and delicious!
To get the most out of your baked goods this holiday season, try some of the following recipe swaps by replacing one cup of the main ingredient with one of the bulleted ingredients below it.
- Black beans (1 cup pureed, about a 15 oz can)
- Wheat flour (⅞ cup)
- Almond flour (¼ cup) and wheat flour (¾ cup)
- Almond flour (1 cup) and ½ teaspoon extra of your rising agent (almond flour is heavier than regular or wheat flour)
Sugar (1 Cup) for:
- Applesauce (1 cup) and reduce the amount of liquid in the recipe by 25 percent
- Vanilla extract (1 teaspoon) and reduce the amount of sugar by half
- Stevia (1 teaspoon liquid stevia or 2 tablespoons stevia powder)
Oil (1 Cup) for:
- Unsweetened applesauce (½ cup) and oil (½ cup)
- Mashed banana (1 cup)
Butter (1 Cup) for:
- Unsweetened applesauce (½ cup) and butter (½ cup)
- Avocado puree (1 cup)
- Mashed banana (1 cup)
- Prune puree (¾ cup) and boiling water (¼ cup), combined and pureed
- Chia seeds (1 tablespoon) and water (9 tablespoons), let sit for 15 minutes; then combine this chia gel (½ cup) and butter (½ cup)
Frosting (1 Cup) for:
- Marshmallow fluff (1 cup)
- Meringue (as needed)
If a healthy lifestyle hasn’t quite achieved the body contours or smooth, radiant skin you desire, there are a variety of procedures that can, including fat transfer, fillers and injectables, laser skin resurfacing, and many more.
To learn more about all of the procedures we offer at the Wise Center for Plastic Surgery, please call (888) 295-6933 or fill out our online contact form today.