While some people focus on burning fat in order to get rid of unsightly bulges, CoolSculpting takes the opposite approach. This innovative procedure freezes fat cells, which are then eliminated. CoolSculpting is a fast, noninvasive procedure that can be effective at getting rid of flabby areas.
How Does CoolSculpting Work?
CoolSculpting involves using a cooling process to freeze fat cells in targeted areas. Once the cells are frozen, they eventually die and are eliminated naturally through metabolic processes. Scientists at the Wellman Center for Photomedicine at Harvard’s Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston developed this cooling process, which has been successfully used to get rid of excess fat.
Those who undergo CoolSculpting have a cooling device placed on the targeted area for roughly one hour. While the cooling device is freezing fat cells, clients are able to do other activities, such as reading, watching televison, or using their phone. Most will feel some pressure and coldness at first, but this does not last long. After the procedure, clients can go back to normal activities, since CoolSculpting does not involve any type of surgery. Some clients will notice results in the weeks or months following one session, while others might need more than one session, depending on how much excess fat they want to eliminate.
What Are the Benefits of CoolSculpting?
CoolSculpting provides several benefits compared to other forms of fat reduction, including:
● Noninvasive procedure: One of the biggest advantages of this fat freezing procedure is that it does not require surgery. Clients who choose CoolSculpting do not have to worry about scarring or being at risk of complications associated with surgical procedures.
● No damage to surrounding tissue: CoolSculpting does not affect the healthy tissue surrounding the targeted areas.
● Long-lasting results: This fat freezing procedure offers results that last longer than other types of fat reduction procedures. This minimizes the chance of needing to undergo multiple sessions or have the procedure done again at a later point in time.
● Quick procedure: CoolSculpting typically takes one hour per session, but the length and number of sessions needed depends on how many areas are being treated. The Wise Center for Plastic Surgery has two cooling devices available, which helps keep sessions twice as short for clients. Our facility has been designated as a CoolSculpting Center of Excellence based on our degree of training, number of patients treated, and the quality of our results. We work with clients to come up with a treatment plan based on where they want fat removed from and how much fat they want to eliminate.
● No downtime: Clients can go back to work or go about everyday activities following the procedure in most cases. There typically are no limits on activities and no required rest as there are with surgical fat reduction procedures.
Who Can Have CoolSculpting Done?
Clients who have not been able to get rid of excess fat through diet and exercise are typically good candidates for CoolSculpting. This procedure offers an alternative option to surgical fat reduction methods, such as liposuction. CoolSculpting is not intended for those who are obese, though. It should also not be performed on those who have the rare medical conditions of paroxysmal cold hemoglobinuria or cryoglobulinemia.
How Safe Is CoolSculpting?
CoolSculpting has been cleared by the FDA for reducing fat in the abdomen, flank and thighs. Off label uses include the arms, as well. This procedure has been done safely and effectively. Some clients might experience slight side effects afterwards, such as temporary redness, tingling or swelling, but serious side effects are rare. Clients should consult their doctor before having CoolSculpting done.
How Quickly Does CoolSculpting Work?
Some clients notice excess fat going away three weeks after the procedure. The most noticeable changes occur about two months after, and fat cells will keep being eliminated from the body for four to six months after the procedure.
How Can I Learn More?
If you think you might be a good candidate for CoolSculpting, contact Dr. Wise at the Wise Center for Plastic Surgery in Wayne, NJ to schedule a complimentary one-on-one consultation. The Wise Center for Plastic Surgery is one of the few Certified CoolSculpting Centers in the state and accredited by the Joint Commission. Dr. Wise is a double board-certified cosmetic surgeon who has gained a stellar reputation after performing thousands of procedures around the world. You can reach Dr. Wise by contacting his office in NJ or through his website.